CORE Concepts in Telehealth Certificate Program
Telehealth has expanded exponentially across the health care continuum. Telehealth has a profound adaptability to diverse technology modalities, business models, specialties, disciplines, and locations. When the patient is at the center of implementation and ongoing workflow, benefits of telehealth create connectedness and optimization of health care resources. The American Board of Telehealth’s CORE - Clinical, Operational, Regulatory and Ethics - Concepts in Telehealth Certificate Program provides a comprehensive curriculum enabling the learner to develop knowledge of telehealth concepts for successful implementation and delivery across a broad spectrum of service areas.
Why get certification?
- Validate you have the knowledge needed to succeed in the field
- Demonstrate commitment to your profession
- Show dedication to maintaining quality and competency in your work
- Encourage life-long learning and professional development
Who should attend: Health care students and professionals interested in or currently practicing telehealth including physicians, advanced practice providers, pharmacists, nurses, social workers, health care administration and information technology as well as health care organizations and educational institutions.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites.
- Online, self-paced program offering flexibility to the learner
- Interactive, engaging content including video and case scenarios
- Examples and useful resources
See Course Syllabus
After completing the CORE Concepts in Telehealth Certificate Program, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the evolution of telehealth.
- Differentiate models of telehealth.
- Identify the common benefits and barriers of telehealth.
- Discuss the future outlook of telehealth.
- Recognize the pillars of telehealth technology that provide the structure for successful telehealth implementation.
- Identify the needs of telehealth workflow in order to apply the appropriate technology.
- Describe the basic components of a telehealth technology set up.
- Describe the ongoing support of telehealth technology, including: monitoring and reporting tools, downtimes, upgrades and testing.
- Recognize the requirement of security in telehealth and telecommunication.
- Describe the preparation for a telehealth visit to set expectations for a meaningful encounter.
- Describe the environment for a telehealth visit that improves workflow and allows for building successful patient-provider rapport.
- Identify skills that build the patient-provider relationship through remote mediums.
- Interpret legal and professional regulatory standards for providing care at a distance.
- Identify quality assurance processes that should be applied to telehealth services.
- Recognize variability in requirements and procedures from each state licensing board and facility in regard to telehealth licensing, credentialing and privileging.
- Describe basic telehealth coverage and reimbursement.
- Discuss state regulations regarding telehealth reimbursement policies.
- Examine CMS, Medicare and Medicaid requirements for telehealth services.
- Recognize the importance of medical ethics.
- Identify ethical considerations of the patient and provider that should be addressed in the telehealth setting.
* The information provided in this course is intended for educational purposes and no other purpose, including, without limitation, providing legal advice to participants. Participants acknowledge they understand their duty to abide by the laws, regulations and policies that regulate their specific industry and state.
The CORE Concepts in Telehealth Certificate Program is launched in sequence with the publication of validated telehealth competency development with Harvard Medical Faculty Physician Group. Courses included within the program include:
- Introduction to Telehealth
- Telepresence Skills
- Licensing, Credentialing and Privileging
- Legal, Regulatory, and Quality
- Ethical Considerations
Estimated completion time: 8-10 hours
The following browsers are recommended:
- Internet Explorer version 11 or higher
- Google Chrome (current version)
- Firefox (current version)
Continuing Education Credits
Avera is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Avera designates this educational activity for a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits(s). Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Avera Health is an Approved Provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Alabama State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. A total of 7.5 contact hours can be received upon completion of this education activity. Completion of the entire educational activity is required to receive contact hours.
Policy on Disclosure:
Continuing Education credits have been approved for this event. Due to the regulations required for CE credits all conflict of interest that the presenter(s) or planning committee members have needs to be fully disclosed to participants. In observance to this requirement we are providing the following disclosure information: There is nothing to disclose.
Enduring material available from 09/08/2020 to 08/31/2021.
This course content was reviewed on 9/8/2020.
Certificate of Completion
After successfully completing your online certificate program, you will receive a professionally produced Certificate of Completion to verify your achievement. The certificate will be delivered via mail to the address identified when registered.